Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Seeing Stars

If you've been on my Christmas list within the last few years you may have received a small sofa quilt or a wall hanging made with one of my very favorite quilt patterns, the Bethlehem Star.  I've researched this star design a bit, as I usually do for most of the traditional patterns that I attempt, and in my research I have discovered that this star has been known by many names.  This star, made of same size diamonds in gradient colors has been called 'The Mathematical Star', 'The Lone Star', 'The Star of Bethlehem' and known by Native Americans as 'The Morning Star'.

I like this design for a few reasons, it's a bit of a challenge to put together and have the intersecting, cascading diamonds line up exactly on their points, and for the fact that you can build this pattern with as many diamonds and sizes as you want.  I also like this design because it is a very dramatic looking and can be an exciting focal point.

As soon as the last quilt project was finished and the cutting table empty I started to think of my next quilt.  I had been wanting to put together a small square quilt for the wall in my dining room behind where I set up my cutting and ironing table.  The wall is a good size with a big empty space between two windows, approx 54 inches.  The space is begging for a small quilt because when you come into my house from the front door and walk up the stairs you can see through the kitchen to the dinning room it would be the very first thing your eye catches.

Most of the time when I'm planning a new project Glenn sneaks in his $00.02 cents worth of input and since this will be on the wall and something that we both will have to look at all the time, he wanted to assist in choosing the color pallet and the fabrics.  Of course, our ideas for both were heading in two completely different directions.  I had a green, muted color pallet in mind and he insisted that it needed to be bold and exciting and a color that would be unexpected, like purple.  So, I started to dig through the bins of fabric, took my 6 year old to a few fabric stores to pick up a few additional  fabrics and laid out two piles; one purple and one green.  I figured I could use the practice, so I'd build two stars and we can then choose the one we all thought worked best.  Trouble was... I got carried away and made the first star gigantic!  Not only did it not fit the wall space, but when I measured it on the diagonal it was 60 inches wide, as wide as a queen size mattress!  It was obvious what I had to do next.. keep on sewing!!!  So, one project will end up on my bed and the other on the wall in the dining room.  A perfect plan, and we both get the colors that we wanted.  So.. that's just what I did.  Funny thing is that these two projects were put together in just a few days because I was so excited to finally be putting a project together for myself.. I just kept sewing as if it was a good book that I just couldn't put down!





One star turned into a star on a diamond, surrounded by 4 stars..












Which then turned into a queen sized quilt..

Still in progress... My two tables pushed together happens to be about the size of a queen sized mattress.  This one is not yet quilted together with a backing and batting.  I'm saving this one for my new long arm machine and quilting frame that I am anxiously waiting to be shipped to me... which is a post for another day!






As for a star for my wall... I love the colors, although I will admit that it looks a bit like a Christmas Tree skirt.  I also compromised with  Glenn and made this one an octagon which will be challenging to hang on the wall, but interesting to look at.



...... you will find more information about this star design and step by step instruction within the previous post "Bethlehem Star - 03/12/2012 - Block of the Week".

1 comment:

Stitch Witch said...

Nice Work Kim.. I want to do some non-work projects...