Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What's Old is New Again... Part 2

Well, after a long slow project of putting this quilt back together the project is complete.  I'm extremely happy with the repair of the torn seams and with the fact that I was able to preserve all the pieces of this project, quilt top, back and binding.

(If you missed it, check out Part 1of this post... )

As I noted in my previous post, there were a number of things about this quilt that I had repaired.  However, one thing I wanted to make certain to try to retain is the charm and home made feeling of this quilt.  One thing that I sometimes like to remind people of is that "home-made" doesn't always mean a flawless result, but it does have it's own charm and appeal.  Those of us with children know this to be especially true.  When we are handed a picture or card made by our children and stand there looking at it, pausing because we can't really tell what they've drawn on the paper... but we love it just the same.  To then have them excitedly explain.. "here's you..and here's me.. and we're holding hands.. "  it's charming and much more valuable to us than any professional painting or piece of art work.  We don't have to dig very deep to know why those types of gifts touch us.. it's their sentiment pulled together by effort and emotion that goes into it that we find appealing.  A tangible example of someone's feelings for us scribbled down on the paper or sewn into a quilt.  That's what I had been handed with this project, someone's gift of the creative expression of their feelings for this couple, this family sewn together with fabric and thread.  I took preserving that expression very seriously with this repair.

Here are only a few photos of the finished repair project.  I, unfortunately, forgot to get a larger photo of the entire quilt put together, but from these you can see specific parts of the quilt in detail; the quilting that didn't exist before (as it was a tied quilt), the binding that I luckily was able to preserve, the loft (in the folded up view) and lastly the ties.  I had decided that although this is a quilted project and technically does not need to be tied, I liked the ribbons.. it added charm.. so the Ohio Square pieced blocks got re-tied as a last step to call the project completed.
 



 Now that this repair is complete.. you know I wouldn't be able to leave well enough alone...

1 comment:

Jamie Desjardins said...

And you did a gorgeous job!!:)